Cochrane, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1971, population 17 580 (2011c), 13 760 (2006c). The Town of Cochrane is located 35 km northwest of Calgary, on the Bow River. It is named for Senator Matthew H. Cochrane, who in 1881 founded the Cochrane Ranche, which was declared a provincial historic site in 1977. Cochrane became a Canadian Pacific Railway shipping point for cattle and it is still a farming and ranching centre but a sawmill (since 1974) and natural gas development and pipelines also contribute to the economy. A dormitory town for Calgary, it has become a regional tourist centre focusing on the western and ranching heritage. The Stockmen's Memorial Foundation Library is also located here. There are 2 weekly newspapers, the Cochrane Eagle and the Cochrane Times.