Port Dover

 Port Dover, Ont, urban area, population 6387 (2011c), 5949 (2006c). Port Dover is located on Lake ERIE at the mouth of the Lynn River, 60 km from Hamilton. A Neutral village was originally on the site. Sulpician priests François DOLLIER DE CASSON and René de Bréhant de Galinée landed here 1669 and claimed the land around Lake Erie for French King Louis XIV. In 1804 a gristmill was built and a small hamlet developed, named after Dover, England. This was destroyed by invading American troops during the WAR OF 1812, but the village recovered and flourished as an agricultural centre, tourist resort and lake port. The excellent harbour was home port to a large commercial fishing fleet. Port Dover was incorporated as a town in 1954. In 1974 it was amalgamated with several other communities to create the city of NANTICOKE, but as of January 2001 it is part of the city of NORFOLK COUNTY.