Verchères, Qué, Municipality, pop 5243 (2006c), 4782 (2001c), inc 1971. Verchères is 62 km northeast of Montréal, situated on the south shore of the St Lawrence River between LONGUEUIL and SOREL.
In 1665, François Jarret, Sieur de Verchères (1641-1700), obtained a commission with the CARIGNAN-SALIÈRES REGIMENT and was sent to New France. In 1672 he was granted the seigneury of Verchères for his military service. During wartime, the seigneury was subjected to frequent Iroquois attacks. To combat this problem, de Verchères erected a palisade around the manor house. It was from the defence of this palisade that the legend of his daughter, 14-year-old Marie-Madeleine Jarret deVERCHÈRES, originates.
The old windmill of Verchères was originally erected in 1730 by Jean-Baptiste Jarret. In 1913 it was acquired by the federal government and transformed into a lighthouse until 1949. Since then, it has been an historical exhibition centre.
Verchères's economy is primarily agricultural. Over 90% of the territory is zoned as agricultural. Verchères commercial farmers produce a variety of cereal grains and dairy products.