Border Scottish Choir of Windsor
Border Scottish Choir of Windsor. A mixed-voice choir of 130, founded in 1924 by H. Whorlow Bull (b London 27 Mar 1872, d Windsor, Ont, 12 Oct 1938) who was founder of the Windsor and Walkerville Choral Society in 1905, choirmaster in a number of Windsor and Detroit churches 1905-35, and supervisor of music in Windsor schools 1909-38. The choral society's large repertoire of English and Scottish music contained both original unaccompanied compositions (including several by Healey Willan) and arrangements. The society presented concerts twice yearly in the Windsor area and also appeared in Chatham and Leamington and many times in Detroit with the Detroit SO. After Bull's death the choir was reorganized by one of its members - Willis Martin - as the Scottish Choir of Windsor. Martin expanded the choir's repertoire to include Judas Maccabaeus and other oratorios. In 1956 the Scottish Choir and the Schubert Choir of Windsor (founded in 1926) amalgamated to form the Windsor Choral Society, which was disbanded in 1958 and succeeded by the Graham Steed Chorale (fl 1959-60).