Canada's History (until 2010, The Beaver), a magazine published by the Hudson's Bay Company, was started in 1920 as a staff magazine as part of the company's 250th anniversary celebrations. It was published monthly until 1924, when it became a quarterly. Douglas MacKay, editor 1933-38, was responsible for the change of format and content, as he recognized that the magazine was of interest to people outside the company. The subscription rate was then one dollar per year.
Staff news items were discontinued in 1941. Under dedicated editors, the magazine gradually emerged with well-written and well-illustrated articles on company history, the history of Native peoples and Native art. It has been recognized and won awards for its accuracy and meticulous editing.
The magazine is published on a bi-monthly basis. Its masthead has gone through several revisions to reflect the magazine's changes in focus. First called "The Beaver, A Journal of Progress," the subtitle was changed in 1933 to "A Magazine of the North," remaining in place until 1986, when it became "Exploring Canada's History." Later, the subtitle was changed to "Canada's History Magazine." In 2010, a major change occurred when the publication abandoned its long-term title to become "Canada's History."
Canada's National History Society, an organization created in 1994 with the support of the Hudson's Bay Company, acquired the magazine to use as its society journal and to promote interest in and knowledge of Canadian history. Canada's History currently has a paid circulation of 44 000 with a readership of approximately 350 000.