Canadian Forces School of Music/École de musique des Forces canadiennes
Canadian Forces School of Music/École de musique des Forces canadiennes(Royal Canadian Navy School of Music/École de musique de la Marine royale du Canada 1954-68). Established in 1954 in Esquimalt, BC, to provide musicians for Canadian navy bands. In 1961 it expanded to accommodate trainees for army and air force bands. With the unification of the navy, army, and air force in 1968, it became the CFSM. In 1987 the school was moved to Camp Borden near Barrie, Ont. The school in 1991 offered students a two-year program of individual and ensemble instrumental instruction leading to qualification for positions in Canadian forces bands. Enrollment has varied with the requirement for musicians. The school also in 1991 offered a one-year program for experienced forces musicians wishing to become assiatant directors and directors of Canadian forces bands,with classes in conducting, composition, and arranging, as well as band administration and management. Summer courses have been offered annually for reserve band personnel from across Canada. The staff comprises a commandant, two officers, and a complement of instrumental instructors selected from the forces' music branch. CFSM commandants have been: Lieut-Cdr H.G. Cuthbert 1954-6, Lieut-Cdr Stanley Sunderland 1956-66, Lieut-Col Clifford Hunt 1966-8, Lieut-Col Edmund T. Jones 1968-75, Lieut-Col Tom Milner 1975-80, Lieut-Col Charles-Auguste Villeneuve 1980-4, Cdr George Morrison 1984-5, Lieut-Cdr Ben Templaars 1985-7 and Maj Jean-Pierre Montminy 1987-90, succeeded in 1990 by Maj William T Wornes.