Fort Reliance

Fort Reliance, YT, is an abandoned post, established in 1874, located on the east bank of the YUKON RIVER, 13 km downstream from DAWSON. It remained the centre of the FUR TRADE and mining on the upper Yukon River for more than a decade.

Fort Reliance

Fort Reliance, YT, is an abandoned post, established in 1874, located on the east bank of the YUKON RIVER, 13 km downstream from DAWSON. It remained the centre of the FUR TRADE and mining on the upper Yukon River for more than a decade. In 1886 a gold discovery drew miners to the mouth of the Stewart River, and when a new post was built there, the buildings at Fort Reliance were dismantled and used for fuel on riverboats. Many of the creeks and settlements on the Yukon, such as FORTY MILE, were named for their distance from Fort Reliance.