King's Posts, a name applied during the French regime to fur trade and fishing posts in the King's Domain (Domaine du Roy), the vast territory north of the St Lawrence River to the Hudson Bay watershed, between the east end of the seigneury of Les Éboulements (east of Québec City) and Cape Cormorant. The land was owned by the king but leased to a private company; posts included Tadoussac, Chicoutimi, Sept-Îles and La Malbaie.
The term "King's Posts" was also applied to forts farther north toward Hudson Bay, such as Mistassini, and farther west, such as Lachine, Fort Frontenac, Fort Rouillé and Fort Dusquesne. After the conquest the King's Domain was leased to private individuals and companies, including the Hudson's Bay Company (1842-59). In 1859 the government took over the administration of the land, continuing to lease fishery and timber rights, while the HBC continued to operate several fur-trade posts.
See also Cartography, History of.