North Vancouver, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1891, population 84 412 (2011c), 82 562 (2006c); also, a separate entity incorporated as a city in 1907, population 48 196 (2011c), 45 165 (2006c). The District of North Vancouver and the City of North Vancouver are located in southwestern British Columbia, adjacent to the city of VANCOUVER. Situated on the north shore of Burrard Inlet, North Vancouver extends from the Capilano River on the west to beyond Deep Cove on the east. The north shore mountains - such as Crown, Grouse, Seymour, Hollyburn and, highest and most famous, the Lions - form a scenic backdrop.
The city is surrounded by the district municipality except at the waterfront. Elevations in the area range from sea level to 1400 metres. The district municipality is governed by a mayor and six councillors, as is the city, which is centered on Lonsdale Avenue.
The rich forests on the north shore of Burrard Inlet first attracted settlers to the area. In 1862 T.W. Graham and Company acquired a 194 ha timber stand in what is now North Vancouver, and timber was soon shipped from the quickly erected Pioneer Mills. A small waterfront mill town developed into the largest settlement on the inlet. An American, Sewell P. Moody, bought Pioneer Mills in 1872 and gave his name to the settlement of Moodyville. In 1886 the north shore became North Vancouver after Vancouver was incorporated. The Second Narrows Railway Bridge, completed in 1925, provided a fixed rail and vehicle link with Vancouver; Lions Gate Bridge (1938) provided a second link; a new vehicle bridge, Second Narrows (1960), renamed the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge to commemorate a construction accident in which 19 men died (1958), provided the third link.
North Vancouver is an important shipping port for lumber, ore and grain, and has numerous manufacturing establishments. Its shipyards were a central part of the economy for most of the 20th century. Versatile Pacific Co Ltd was one of the largest shipyards in Canada. In 1928 it built the RCMP schooner ST. ROCH, which is on display at the Vancouver Maritime Museum. The 1991 closing of the shipyard (first known as Burrard Dry Dock) has raised the possibility of a waterfront redevelopment that would retain some of the old shipyard buildings and allow for a new museum. The company's role in shipbuilding on the West Coast has been recognized as being nationally significant (designated 2004). The extension of the Pacific Great Eastern Railway (latterly BC Rail, now CN) from Squamish in the 1950s increased the city's importance as a transshipment point.
Tourists are attracted by the facilities for fishing, sailing, skiing and mountain climbing in the area's numerous parks. Next to Capilano Regional Park, the famous Capilano Suspension Bridge, 70 m above the river, stretches 137 m across the canyon. Cleveland Dam, north of the park, releases most of the water for Greater Vancouver consumption from Capilano Lake. In the eastern part of the district municipality is Mount Seymour Provincial Park. In the north are Lynn Headwaters Regional Park and Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve.
North Vancouver is a popular residential and tourist area. Attractions include Lonsdale Quay Market, Grouse Mountain Skyride, Capilano Salmon Hatchery, Capilano College, the Museum and Archives, and Presentation House, a photographic gallery.