Regina Musical Club
The Regina Musical Club. Founded in 1907 by Mrs Forget and its first president, Mrs R. Rimmer, as the Regina Women's Morning Musical Club to promote music and foster the careers of young artists in the community. As the constitution and policies changed, the name became the Regina Women's Musical Club in the early 1950s and, later, the Regina Musical Club, open to all. Membership has ranged from 100 (1913) to 1000 (1945).
The club's concerts, held initially at the YMCA and latterly at Darke Hall, have varied from solo and chamber recitals to choral performances and opera. Lois Marshall, Kathleen Parlow, John Charles Thomas, Jon Vickers, Portia White, and others have performed for the club and the COC touring company has been presented under its sponsorship. In 1970 it became the host for JMC (YMC) concerts in Regina. With the CFMTA it has co-sponsored a young artists' series. The Regina Musical Club has provided scholarships for the Regina Music Festival and for the University of Regina. The club continued its activities in 1991.