Agawa Bay is located 90 km northwest of Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, on the north shore of Lake Superior. The area was sacred to the Ojibwa and the name is Indigenous for "sacred place." The magnificent beach is strewn with innumerable pebbles, worn smooth by the waves. Nearby bands of rock, some 1 billion, some 2.5 billion years old, lie twisted in layers like hardened candy. The famous pictographs are on the sheer rock face above. Located by Selwyn Dewdney in 1959, the red ochre and grease paintings are thought to celebrate a safe passage across the lake, or possibly a war victory of a great chief, some 200 years ago. Among the images are a fabulous panther, a serpent and a rider and galloping horse.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Marsh, James H.. "Agawa Bay". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/agawa-bay. Accessed 09 December 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Marsh, J. (2015). Agawa Bay. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/agawa-bay
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Marsh, James H.. "Agawa Bay." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published March 14, 2007; Last Edited March 04, 2015.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Agawa Bay," by James H. Marsh, Accessed December 09, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/agawa-bay
Article by James H. Marsh
Published Online March 14, 2007
Last Edited March 4, 2015