Amund Ringnes Island, 5255 km2, located between Ellef Ringnes and Axel Heiberg islands in the Arctic Archipelago. It is flat (highest point about 610 m) and windswept; in winter its coasts are virtually indistinguishable from the surrounding ice. It was discovered 20 April 1900 by Gunerius Isachsen, a member of the Norwegian Sverdrup expedition, and named for a member of the brewery that financed the expedition. It was surveyed 1916 by V. Stefansson, who found coal and gypsum on the island.