Anderson River, 692 km long, originates in a group of lakes north of Great Bear Lake in the Northwest Territories and meanders north and west to empty into Liverpool Bay, an arm of the Beaufort Sea, just east of the Mackenzie Delta. Its lower reaches were originally inhabited by Inuit who were decimated by an epidemic of scarlet fever in 1865. During the 1860s the Hudson's Bay Company operated a trading post at its mouth, where the modern settlement of Stanton is located. It is named after James Anderson, an HBC factor formerly in charge of the district.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel. "Anderson River". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 23 January 2014, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/anderson-river. Accessed 29 November 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Francis, D. (2014). Anderson River. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/anderson-river
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel. "Anderson River." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 06, 2006; Last Edited January 23, 2014.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Anderson River," by Daniel Francis, Accessed November 29, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/anderson-river
Article by Daniel Francis
Published Online February 6, 2006
Last Edited January 23, 2014