Andrew Hamilton Gault
Andrew Hamilton Gault, army officer (born in England 18 August 1882; died at Montréal 28 November 1958). Of Canadian parents, he attended McGill University. Commissioned in the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles, he served in the South African War and joined the Canadian Militia on return to Canada.
On the eve of the First World War he offered the Canadian government $100 000 to help raise and equip an infantry battalion for overseas duty, leading to the formation in 1914 of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry regiment. Gault accompanied the regiment overseas as second-in-command, fighting until the loss of his left leg. On retirement (1920), he took up residence in England and was elected Conservative MP for Taunton (1924-35). Recalled to active duty in the Second World War, he served on staff with the Canadian Army in England (colonel, 1940; brigadier, 1942) and returned to Canada in 1945. Appointed honorary colonel (1948) and colonel (1958) of his regiment, he showed a keen interest in it until his death.
While in Canada, Gault had an estate east of Montréal, which he purchased in 1913. He bequeathed it to McGill University and it is now known as Gault Nature Reserve.