Anyox, BC, was a town situated on Granby Bay, 60 km north of Prince Rupert. The Tsimshian word means "hidden water." The area was first visited by Captain George Vancouver in 1793, but was not settled until Granby Consolidated Mining, Smelting and Power Co Ltd began mining a copper deposit there in 1912. At the peak of operation it was one of the largest producing copper mines and smelters in the British Empire. Total recovery was approximately 3.8 million grams of gold, 206.3 million grams of silver, and 321.5 million kilograms of copper.
Population was 2500 to 3000, but dwindled soon after the mine closed in July 1935 because of depressed prices for copper and depletion of the ore body. The post office was closed in 1939, and a forest fire destroyed most of the wooden structures in 1942.