La Vérendrye built Fort la Reine (1738) on the river near present-day Portage la Prairie. Its route was well travelled by fur traders, and after 1850 settlement crept westward from the forks, where light, dry soil offered excellent farming prospects. The river is navigable for some 500 km, and before the railway came, 7 sternwheelers plied its course from Winnipeg to Fort Ellice. The name, meaning "those who cook by placing hot stones in water," was taken from the Assiniboine who inhabited the area.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Marsh, James H.. "Assiniboine River". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/assiniboine-river. Accessed 13 December 2018.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Marsh, J., Assiniboine River (2015). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/assiniboine-river
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Marsh, James H., "Assiniboine River". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 06, 2006; last modified March 04, 2015. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/assiniboine-river
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- James H. Marsh, The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Assiniboine River", last modified March 04, 2015, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/assiniboine-river
|Article by||James H. Marsh|
|Date Published||February 6, 2006|
|Last Edited||March 4, 2015|