Balmoral, NB, incorporated as a village in 1972, population 1719 (2011c), 1706 (2006c). The Village of Balmoral is located in northern New Brunswick, 12 km southwest of Dalhousie and named for Balmoral Castle in Scotland. Acadians and English and Scottish immigrants began moving into that wilderness area about 1850, and in 1856 Balmoral Settlement was laid out for several hundred grants. The Free Grants Act of 1874 brought another influx of settlers. Both groups of settlers developed an extensive agricultural industry, but it gave way to forest industries in the mid-20th century.
The village has a sawmill, but many of its inhabitants work in neighbouring towns in the forest and mining industries. Most of those of English and Scottish origin had left by 1901 and today Balmoral is predominantly a francophone community.