Canadian Political Science Association

The Canadian Political Science Association was founded in 1913. It lost its membership to WWI, but was reconstituted in 1929 and has operated continuously since. It was incorporated under the Canada Corporation Act in 1971.

Canadian Political Science Association

The Canadian Political Science Association was founded in 1913. It lost its membership to WWI, but was reconstituted in 1929 and has operated continuously since. It was incorporated under the Canada Corporation Act in 1971. Among the association's objectives are to encourage and develop POLITICAL SCIENCE and its relationship with other disciplines and to foster research, inter alia, through publication.

In 1997 the association had 1250 members, representing some 50 Canadian university departments of political science, as well as individuals from provincial governments, the federal government and the private sector. It functions in both French and English and carries out joint activities with La Société québécoise de science politique. The association has a permanent secretariat housed in Ottawa.

In 1935 the association began publishing the CANADIAN JOURNAL OF ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL SCIENCE. In 1967 the economists formed their own association and the publication continued as The Canadian Journal of Political Science. The association sponsors and administers the Parliamentary Internship Programme, attached to the Federal House, and the Ontario Legislature Internship Programme. The association's funds are derived by membership fees and subscriptions to the journal; major support is received from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.

Among the association's distinguished presidents have been Stephen LEACOCK, O.D. SKELTON and Eugene FORSEY.