Cardigan, PEI, incorporated as a village in 1954 and as a community in 1983, population 332 (2011c), 374 (2006c). The Community of Cardigan is situated 54 km northeast of CHARLOTTETOWN. A fishing and farming community and the site of a major shipbuilding industry in the 19th century, Cardigan is located at the head of the Cardigan R. Really a long inlet, the river is salt water and it finds its mouth in the NORTHUMBERLAND STR. Settled originally by ACADIANS and then by SCOTS and IRISH immigrants, most Cardiganites claim a mixture of French and British descent. The majority of the population speaks only English.