History and Economy
Carmacks was named for George Washington Carmack, who built a cabin at the forks (1893) from which he traded for furs. Carmack found coal at the site and in 1896 was one of three prospectors who staked the claim on Bonanza Creek that touched off the Klondike Gold Rush. Carmacks grew during the rush as a supply point and fuel stop for riverboats. Now a local improvement district, it remains a service centre for travellers on the Klondike and Campbell highways.