Cartwright, NL, incorporated as a town in 1997, population 516 (2011c), 552 (2006c). The Town of Cartwright is located at the mouth of Sandwich Bay on the south coast of Labrador. It is named for George CARTWRIGHT, who established a fishing and fur-trading post in the area in 1775. In 1815 the business was sold and eventually acquired by the Hudson's Bay Co in the 1873. Settlement grew in association with the company and other trading and lumbering firms, which were established at or near Cartwright. Independent fishermen settled there because of the availability of other amenities, such as medical services provided by a Grenfell Association hospital.
Today with medical facilities, an airstrip, a sizable fish processing plant, and other businesses, Cartwright is a local service centre. It is the terminus of a highway completed in 2003. The final phase of Trans Labrador Highway connecting Cartwright with HAPPY VALLEY-GOOSE BAY is expected to be completed in the early 2010s. The community is also connected by a seasonal ferry to LEWISPORTE.