Clarence-Rockland

Clarence-Rockland, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1998, population 23 185 (2011c), 20 790 (2006c). The City of Clarence-Rockland is located on the OTTAWA RIVER 35 km east of OTTAWA.

Clarence-Rockland, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1998, population 23 185 (2011c), 20 790 (2006c). The City of Clarence-Rockland is located on the OTTAWA RIVER 35 km east of OTTAWA. The city is the result of the amalgamation of the town of Rockland and the township of Clarence.

In 1868 William C. EDWARDS built a lumber mill on the south shore of the Ottawa River and the community of Rockland grew up around the mill. At its peak Edward's mill employed over 1000 people and Rockland was a booming community with extensive docks and an active quarry. It was incorporated as a town in 1908. By the 1920s, however, the mill was in financial difficulty and it closed in 1926. It was not until after World War II that Rockland began to grow again as part of a general upturn in the regional economy.

In recent years the area has prospered as a result of its proximity to Ottawa-Hull and Clarence-Rockland is now primarily a residential community.