Coldstream, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1906, population 10 314 (2011c), 9471 (2006c). The District of Coldstream lies in the valley of Coldstream Creek, about two kilometres southeast of VERNON. Captain Charles F. Houghton, the first settler in 1863, acquired his title through a military grant. His Coldstream Ranch, named for cold springs which rise on it, was transferred to Forbes G. and Charles A. Vernon and in 1891 was bought by the earl of ABERDEEN (governor general, 1893-98). Aberdeen had large acreages of fruit trees and hops planted; by 1908 the estate had 732 acres of orchards.
To encourage settlement, Aberdeen subdivided part of the property which was sold in small parcels, but today the Coldstream Ranch Ltd still has substantial holdings, of which some are under cultivation. Agriculture, however, is no longer the main occupation in Coldstream; most residents work in nearby Vernon, although a glass factory is the largest industrial employer in the northern OKANAGAN, and lumber mills provide local jobs.