The Department of Munitions and Supply was Canada's principal agency for co-ordinating domestic industry during World War II. It was decided that a civilian department should control the production of munitions for Canada and its allies, and accordingly Parliament passed the Munitions and Supply Act in September 1939 and brought it into force on 9 April 1940. The department's only minister was C.D. Howe, who furnished dynamic, aggressive leadership, as well as significant political clout. Besides producing armaments through its production branches, the department regulated scarce supplies held to be essential to war production, such as gasoline and silk (used for parachutes). To avoid creating a big bureaucracy, the department established crown corporations such as Victory Aircraft (bombers), Polymer (artificial rubber) and Research Enterprises (high technology). The department was dissolved at the end of WWII with a highly successful record.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Bothwell, Robert. "Department of Munitions and Supply". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 20 October 2014, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/department-of-munitions-and-supply. Accessed 21 September 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Bothwell, R. (2014). Department of Munitions and Supply. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/department-of-munitions-and-supply
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Bothwell, Robert. "Department of Munitions and Supply." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 07, 2006; Last Edited October 20, 2014.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Department of Munitions and Supply," by Robert Bothwell, Accessed September 21, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/department-of-munitions-and-supply
Department of Munitions and Supply
Article by Robert Bothwell
Published Online February 7, 2006
Last Edited October 20, 2014