Dominion Securities Inc
Dominion Securities Inc began business as an investment dealer in 1901. Commencing in the early 1970s expansion of its operations accelerated significantly, through both internal growth and mergers with several other prominent Canadian investment dealers. In 1973 it merged with Harris & Partners Ltd, in 1977 with Draper Dobie Ltd, in 1981 with A.E. Ames & Co Ltd and in 1984 with Pitfield Mackay Ross Ltd. The firm engaged in a broad range of investment services, including equity sales, trading and research, investment advice, bond sales and trading, funds management, lease financing, money market securities, financial advisory services, merger and acquisition assistance as well as underwriting of corporate and government securities.
Business was conducted from head office in Toronto and a network of 61 branches in 58 cities in Canada as well as offices in New York, London, Paris, Geneva, Lausanne, Hong Kong and Tokyo, with a staff of more than 2000 people. With a capital of nearly $275 billion in 1986, the company ranked first among Canadian investment dealers. In December 1987 the Royal Bank purchased 75% control of the firm. RBC Dominion Securities now provides the services as a subsidiary of the Royal Bank.