Edenwold, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1912, population 238 (2011c), 242 (2006c). The Village of Edenwold is located 44 km northeast of REGINA. The name was originally Edenwald after the Garden of Eden and wald, meaning forest in German. It was a descriptive name for the rich trees and fields in the area.
The village of Edenwold and the surrounding rural municipality of the same name, share a common history. The area's first settlers were German-speaking people from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They began to arrive in the area in 1885 following the construction of the CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY main line through Regina. Edenwold was one of a number of German-speaking communities including Langenburg and Strasbourg that were established at about the same time. Like most rural communities in the Regina area, Edenwold's economy has been dominated by agriculture and in particular by large-scale wheat production.
See also AUSTRIANS.