Enderby, BC, incorporated as a city in 1905, population 2932 (2011c), 2828 (2006c). The City of Enderby is located on the Shuswap River 13 km north of Armstrong and 19 km south of Salmon Arm. Notable for its plethora of names, it was variously known after its first settlement in 1876 as Spallumcheen, Steamboat Landing, Lambly's Landing or Belvidere, before the present name was settled upon in 1887. During an afternoon tea party, the sight of the spring flood of the Shuswap R inspired the recitation of a poem by Jean Ingelow, "High Tide on the Coast of Lincolnshire," and the place-name Enderby mentioned in the poem so enchanted the ladies that they adopted it for their community.
Grain was the main crop of the district until 1923 when Enderby's flour mill closed, resulting in a shift to dairying. Three sawmills are fed by the local logging industry. The weekly Enderby Commoner has appeared under various names since 1904.