Fairvale, NB, is a community located on the Kennebecasis River within the town of ROTHESAY. Settled in 1819, it remained a farming area until early in the 20th century. The only variation from agricultural pursuits was a period of shipbuilding in the latter half of the 19th century. Called Fairleigh in the 1880s, it later became Fairvale but the origin of the name is not known. The early 20th century saw it develop as a summer community for SAINT JOHN residents and later as a dormitory community for that city. In 1998 it lost its status as a village (incorporated in 1966) when it was merged into the town of Rothesay.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Glendenning, Burton. "Fairvale". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/fairvale. Accessed 05 December 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Glendenning, B. (2015). Fairvale. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/fairvale
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Glendenning, Burton. "Fairvale." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 07, 2006; Last Edited March 04, 2015.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Fairvale," by Burton Glendenning, Accessed December 05, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/fairvale
Article by Burton Glendenning
Published Online February 7, 2006
Last Edited March 4, 2015