F.M. (Francis Murray) or Ray McLeod. Bandmaster, b Grand Forks, near Nelson, BC, 27 Nov 1918. After training as a trumpeter with 'Tug' Wilson in Vancouver and playing in dance and radio orchestras, he joined the Canadian armed forces in 1941 and became a bandsman. In 1946 he went to the RMSM (Kneller Hall) for additional training in conducting and composition under Gordon Jacob and Jack Mackintosh and in 1950 he graduated with the highest award in composition. On his return he was appointed inspector of bands for the Western Command (Edmonton) and in 1953 he became commanding officer for the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Band in Calgary. He was senior music director for the Lord Strathcona Horse Band in Calgary from 1957 until his retirement (with the rank of captain) in 1965. With David Peterkin he organized and directed 1958-69 the Alberta provincial summer band workshops. McLeod founded the Calgary Concert Band in 1963 and directed it until 1990. He also conducted the Calgary Stampede Band 1968-74 and the Canadian Tattoo at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, and was music director 1960-5 of Calgary Musical Theatre.. He taught trumpet, theory, and band techniques at the University of Calgary 1965-86. McLeod was active as an instrumental adjudicator throughout western Canada 1953-88 and was a professional representative 1980-5 to the WBM. A longtime member of the Calgary Musicians' Association (AF of M Local 547), he has served in all capacities on the board. He is a life member of Local 547 and of the Alberta Band Association.