Fort Carlton, situated on the south branch of the North Saskatchewan River near Duck Lake (Saskatchewan), was established in 1810 as a Hudson's Bay Company fur trade and provision post. Initially called Carlton House, two previous posts had been located in the area in 1795 and 1804 before being abandoned permanently for the present location. Until 1882, Fort Carlton remained a particularly important fur-trade depot in western Canada. Near the site, Treaty 6 (1876) was signed between the Plains and Wood Cree and the Dominion government. In March 1885, during the North-West Resistance, the post was destroyed by fire. At present, the partly reconstructed Fort Carlton is a Saskatchewan provincial historic park.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Allen, Robert S.. "Fort Carlton". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 16 December 2013, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/fort-carlton. Accessed 23 September 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Allen, R. (2013). Fort Carlton. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/fort-carlton
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Allen, Robert S.. "Fort Carlton." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 07, 2006; Last Edited December 16, 2013.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Fort Carlton," by Robert S. Allen, Accessed September 23, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/fort-carlton
Article by Robert S. Allen
Published Online February 7, 2006
Last Edited December 16, 2013