Fort Haldimand, located on the west promontory of Carleton Island at the east end of Lake Ontario, about 16 km offshore from Kingston, Ontario, was built by the British in 1778 during the American Revolution. Established as a military and commercial base of operations for British forces, and particularly their native allies, Fort Haldimand was largely replaced by Fort Oswego to the south in 1782. In the years immediately following the war, British and Loyalist activity in the area shifted to Cataraqui [Kingston], and Fort Haldimand soon fell into disrepair. Nonetheless, a token British presence remained, and 3 veterans surrendered to American troops in the first months of the War of 1812. Carleton Island was formally ceded to the US in 1817.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Allen, Robert S.. "Fort Haldimand". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 16 December 2013, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/fort-haldimand. Accessed 06 December 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Allen, R. (2013). Fort Haldimand. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/fort-haldimand
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Allen, Robert S.. "Fort Haldimand." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 07, 2006; Last Edited December 16, 2013.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Fort Haldimand," by Robert S. Allen, Accessed December 06, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/fort-haldimand
Article by Robert S. Allen
Published Online February 7, 2006
Last Edited December 16, 2013