Iroquois Falls, Ont, Town, incorporated as a town in 1915, population 4595 (2011c), 4729 (2006c). The Town of Iroquois Falls is located 334 km northwest of North Bay. The town received not only its name but its raison d'être from its location at the waterfall on the Abitibi R, which supplies hydroelectric power for the community's economic lifeline, the pulp and paper industry. Area timber rights were first granted to the Abitibi Power & Paper Co (today Abitibi Consolidated) in 1912.
Abitibi constructed a carefully planned, model Company Town 1915-20, the first of its kind in northern Ontario. In the 1920s company president Frank Anson initiated a beautification program that transformed Iroquois Falls into the "Garden Town of the North." The closed company-town phase ended in the 1950s. Historically parallelling the growth of Iroquois Falls was the development of the neighbouring noncompany communities of Ansonville and Montrock, and in 1969 these were amalgamated with Iroquois Falls.