Lincoln, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1970, population 22 487 (2011c), 21 722 (2006c). The Town of Lincoln is situated in the Niagara Peninsula, immediately west of ST CATHARINES. The town was formed from the townships of Clinton and Louth (part) and the town of Beamsville. It comprises several distinct communities (Beamsville, Vineland, Jordan, Jordan Station and Campden) interspersed with rural areas, and was named for Lincoln in Lincolnshire, England. Though people of British origin predominate, Mennonite and, more recently, those of Dutch origin are also important elements in the population.
The area was settled in the 1780s, and the various communities grew up mainly in response to agricultural needs. Since 1900 it has been important for tender fruit and grape growing, and more recently a large greenhouse industry has been developed. Lincoln has attracted many light industries, many of which are close to the QUEEN ELIZABETH WAY, as well as various tourist facilities and agricultural research operations. Since the 1980s a number of world-class estate wineries have opened, together with various agritourism facilities. The Twenty Valley (of Twenty Mile Creek that runs through the town) is the signature for tourism promotion.