Maitland, Ont, Unincorporated Place. Maitland is located on the St Lawrence River, 8 km east of Brockville. During the Seven Years' War (1756-63) it was the site of a fort and shipyard, Pointe au Baril, where the last French warships to sail on Lk Ontario were built. The founders of Maitland were Ziba Phillips, a Loyalist who with his brother Jehiel acquired property there in 1821, and George Langley who in 1822 purchased land where the village now stands. A townsite was laid out in 1822 and named after Sir Peregrine Maitland, lt-gov of Upper Canada at the time. St James's Church, built in 1826, survives as a fine example of early Gothic revival architecture. Barbara Heck, founder of N American Methodism, settled here after the American Revolution. Never developing beyond a small settlement, Maitland has profited from the commercial traffic along the St Lawrence corridor and retains much of its early charm in its restored buildings.