Metropolitan School of Music
Metropolitan School of Music. Founded in 1893 in Toronto as the Metropolitan College of Music and reorganized in 1895 as the Metropolitan School of Music. W.O. Forsyth became the director at the time of the reorganization and remained so until 1912, when the school was absorbed by the Canadian Academy of Music. The school occupied a four-storey building on Queen St West, housing offices, classrooms, studios, and lecture and concert halls. Private lessons and class instruction were offered in theoretical subjects, teacher training, violin, piano, and voice. A musical kindergarten employed the Fletcher Music Method. The staff included Peter C. Kennedy, Heinrich Klingenfeld, Walter H. Robinson, and Fred Warrington. For the terms 1902-03 and 1905-06, the syllabi included brief biographies of its instructors - in number, 17 and 21 respectively.