Middleton, NS, incorporated as a town in 1909, population 1749 (2011c), 1829 (2006c). The Town of Middleton is located in Nova Scotia's historic ANNAPOLIS VALLEY. In 1854 Middleton was given its name from the fact that it is located midway between Annapolis Royal and Kentville. The first settlers arrived in the area in the 1770s, but growth was slow, and by 1800 there were only a few houses at the location. Middleton has continued to grow slowly. The town serves as a retail and commercial centre for the rich and fertile farms of the surrounding district. The area is famous for its fruit growing.
Middleton is a stop on the "Evangeline Trail" and tourism is an important component of the town's economy. The Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum is located in the oldest consolidated school in Canada and includes a display of antique clocks and watches. Middleton's town clock is a clepsydras, it uses flowing water to measure time. Old Holy Trinity Church is one of the 5 surviving Loyalist churches in Nova Scotia.