Peter Robinson, merchant, developer, immigration superintendent (b in NB 1785; d at Toronto 8 July 1838). Until 1822 he was active in the development of Yonge St in the Newmarket and Holland Landing area. Linked with his brother, John Beverley ROBINSON, in the FAMILY COMPACT, he served in the Upper Canadian assembly (1817-24) and, as commissioner of crown lands, on the legislative and executive councils (1827-36). Robinson is best remembered as the founder of PETERBOROUGH, Ont, which took its name from him. He supervised 2 settlements of southern IRISH immigrants assisted by the Colonial Office, one based at Shipman's Mills [ ALMONTE, Ont] in 1823, the other at Scott's Mills [Peterborough] in 1825. As commissioner of crown lands he employed land agents across the province. From 1829 to 1833, his agents, under the local authority of Sir John COLBORNE, assisted indigent immigrants to settle in townships in the Peterborough area, in Nottawasaga Bay, and in Adelaide and Warwick townships, W of London, Ont.