Saint-André-Est

Saint-André-Est, Qué, unincorporated place within the municipality of Saint-André-d'Argenteuil, pop 2867 (2001c), 2921 (1996c), area 97.79 km 2 . Saint-André-Est lies mostly on the eastern bank of


Saint-André-Est

 Saint-André-Est, Qué, unincorporated place within the municipality of Saint-André-d'Argenteuil, pop 2867 (2001c), 2921 (1996c), area 97.79 km2. Saint-André-Est lies mostly on the eastern bank of the Rivière du Nord several kilometres from its junction with the OTTAWA RIVER. Scottish settlers arrived around 1800 and in 1830 the parish of St-André (French spelling of their patron saint, St Andrews) was set up. A plaque marks the site of the first paper mill in Canada (completed by New England immigrants in 1805). Hydro-Québec built an hydroelectric station (1959-62) on the Long Sault rapids at nearby Carillon. In 1999 the villages of Saint-André-Est (incorporated in 1958), Carillon (incorporated in 1887) and the parish municipality of Saint-André-d'Arganteuil (set up in 1855) merged to form the municipality of Saint-André-Carillon (later, Saint-André-d'Arganteuil). Sir John ABBOTT, Canada's first native-born prime minister, was born here.