Saint-Jacques, NB, Unincorporated Place. Saint-Jacques is located along Rivière Madawaska and makes up the western part of the city of EDMUNDSTON. The area was first settled in 1834 by Irish settlers, and the community was known as Silverstream. The area's post office first opened in 1870. French settlers later became the majority of the area's population, and the name of the village was changed in 1902. Its name is taken from the surrounding parish. Saint-Jacques was incorporated as a village in 1966 but has been part of the city of Edmundston since 1998.
In 1993, the Jardin botanique du Nouveau-Brunswick was established in the community. The garden includes 2 arboretums and 8 distinct gardens with many annuals and perennials. Saint-Jacques is the gateway to New Brunswick for travellers coming from Québec.