Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary
Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, a religious congregation of women founded in LONGUEUIL, Québec, by the blessed Eulalie Durocher (Mother Marie-Rose) to educate young girls. The spirituality of the congregation is Ignatian (Jesuit). The founder, closely linked with the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, had agreed in 1842 to preside over the first Canadian group of Children of Mary (a sisterhood influenced by the Oblates); in 1843, Eulalie was ordered by Ignace BOURGET, bishop of Montréal, to found a congregation to replace the French sisters (from Marseilles), who had refused to settle in Canada (she took their name, habit and constitutions). In 1996 there were 1964 members (down from 2727 members in 1986).