SpiritwoodSpiritwood, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1935 and as a town in 1965, population 916 (2011c), 911 (2006c). The Town of Spiritwood is located 112 km northeast of North Battleford and 125 km west of Prince Albert. Rupert Dumond, the first postmaster, named the community after his home town in North Dakota. The first settlers came to the area in 1912, but growth was slow until the arrival of the railway in 1929, when settlement increased dramatically.
The town is a service and administrative centre for the surrounding area. Grain growing and the raising of livestock are the main activities. The town lies in close proximity to a number of lakes and parks, with many recreational opportunities including fishing, snowmobiling, hunting and golfing.