Stoney CreekStoney Creek, Ont, makes up the eastern part of the city of HAMILTON and is situated along LAKE ONTARIO in the NIAGARA PENINSULA. It was incorporated as a city in 1984 but, despite local opposition, in 1999 the Ontario government approved the amalgamation of Stoney Creek, as well as all the other local municipalities in the regional municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth, with the neighbouring city of Hamilton. The amalgamation came into effect in 2001.
The first European settlers, primarily LOYALISTS, arrived from the US in 1786. The area was cleared for mixed farming and Stoney Creek attracted many saw and grain mills and other agricultural service activities. After the 1880s the area between Lake Ontario and the NIAGARA ESCARPMENT became a tender-fruit and grape-growing area, attracting packing and canning plants and wineries. Good communications with Hamilton, first by inter-urban railway and then by road, especially the QUEEN ELIZABETH WAY, have resulted in extensive residential, commercial and industrial development, all but obliterating the tender-fruit and grape lands.
Stoney Creek has a wonderful natural setting including the landscaped spine of the Niagara Escarpment, a World BIOSPHERE RESERVE, and the shores of Lake Ontario with marina access and numerous other recreational attractions. A park incorporates the site of the Battle of STONEY CREEK in the War of 1812. The now worldwide Women's Institutes originated here in 1897. (See FEDERATED WOMEN'S INSTITUTES OF CANADA.)