Sundre, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1956, population 2610 (2011c), 2523 (2006c). The Town of Sundre is located along the Red Deer River in central Alberta about 100 km southwest of Red Deer. Sundre was established by N.T. Hagen, who bought land in the area in 1906. Hagen was born in Norway and had previously immigrated to the United States before travelling to Alberta to take up land. He built a store and opened a post office about 1909 that he called Sundre after his home in Norway.
Sundre initially developed as a service centre for the surrounding farm area. Four years after being incorporated as a village (1950) oil was discovered in the area. The population increased 4-fold, leading to a raise in its municipal status. The early 1990s saw the economy being further diversified into forest products. Tourism is growing, particularly with rafting and canoeing on the Red Deer River, and trail riding in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
Within Sundre is the Snake Hill Recreation Area. The Pioneer Village Museum includes a Norwegian log cabin as well as other historical buildings.