TignishTignish, PEI, incorporated as a village in 1952 and as a community in 1983, population 779 (2011c), 758 (2006c). The Community of Tignish is situated 153 km northwest of Charlottetown. In 1799, 8 Acadian families left Malpeque Bay and settled in the bush of northwestern Prince Edward Island. Twelve years later, Irish immigrants began arriving in the area via Chaleur Bay, NB. With the potato famine in the 1840s, a more substantial wave of Irish immigrants arrived.
Today, Tignish is 93% Roman Catholic and more than 20% of the population can speak both French and English. The co-operative movement has been one of the community's most distinctive features. Beginning with a 1923 union to increase fish prices, Tignishites now own co-operatively many of the community's businesses.