Turner Valley, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1930, population 2167 (2011c), 1908 (2006c). The Town of Turner Valley is located 40 km south of Calgary in the wide valley of the same name. It is named for the first settlers in the area, John, James and Robert Turner. The presence of oil was apparent through seepage, but it was not until 14 May 1914 that Dingman No 1 came in - heralding the discovery of the first major natural gas and oil field in Alberta. Wells soon dotted the valley, and the petroleum activity was a bright spot in the otherwise bleak economy of Alberta in the 1930s. The field was depleted by the time the focus shifted north to Leduc after WWII. The gas plant has been declared both a provincial and national historic site and is currently being developed as such.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Holmgren, Eric J.. "Turner Valley". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 11 June 2015, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/turner-valley. Accessed 05 August 2021.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Holmgren, E., Turner Valley (2015). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/turner-valley
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Holmgren, Eric J., "Turner Valley". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published March 31, 2008; Last Edited June 11, 2015. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/turner-valley
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- Holmgren, Eric J.. The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Turner Valley", Last Edited June 11, 2015, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/turner-valley
|Article by||Eric J. Holmgren|
|Published Online||March 31, 2008|
|Last Edited||June 11, 2015|