VanierVanier, Ont, is an urban community within the city of Ottawa. Vanier was one of Canada's smallest cities by area (2.93 km2) until it was amalgamated into the new city of OTTAWA in 2001. It was almost completely surrounded by Ottawa, with the Rideau River forming its western boundary. The first inhabitants settled on the banks of the Rideau along the road to Montréal. Although this settlement was called Janeville it was mainly French-speaking. A second village, Clarkston, predominantly English-speaking, later developed. The communities were joined in 1909 as the village of Eastview. Its municipal status was elevated to a town in 1913 and later to a city in 1963. The name was changed in 1969 to Vanier to honour Georges-Phileas VANIER, former governor general of Canada (1959-67).
Too small for industry, the city was the location of a number of federal office buildings. The retail and service sectors were also important to the economy. A significant portion of the population remains French-speaking.