Yorkton, Sask, incorporated as a city in 1928, population 15 669 (2011c), 15 038 (2006c). The City of Yorkton is located about 175 km northeast of Regina. The city acts as a regional service centre for the surrounding rich prairie parkland, known for its good agricultural production, particularly in grain crops. The community's beginnings can be traced back to 1882 with the York Farmers' Colonization Co, a block settlement group from York County, Ont. Originally known as York City, the village was established 4 km northeast of its present site and was intended to serve the York colony. In 1884, with the establishment of a post office, the settlement was renamed Yorkton. With the coming of the railway in 1889, the village was moved trackside to its present site.
Although the York colony eventually faded, large numbers of immigrants from across Europe settled in the area. Of particular significance were the early Ukrainians and Doukhobors who formed a large portion of the population. Today the city performs commercial, transportation and government functions. Points of interest to visitors include a branch of the Western Development Museum, the Godfrey Dean Cultural Centre and the dome paintings of the St Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church.