Browse "Districts and municipalities"

Article

100 Mile House

100 Mile House, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1991, population 1886 (2011c), 1885 (2006c). The District of 100 Mile House is located in the South Cariboo region of south-central British Columbia on Highway 97, 458 km northeast of Vancouver.

Article

Acadia

Acadia is a land deeply imbued with history. Its present status is that of a minority, a "country" with vague outlines but a vigorous spirit. Its territorial origin follows the French colonial efforts in the early 17th century. The first permanent agricultural settlements in what is now Canada occurred there.

Article

Acton Vale

Known as La porte de l'Estrie (Door to the Eastern Townships), Acton Vale is the county seat of the regional municipality of Acton. Its main employer is Peerless Carpets. The town's cultural life is centered on the old Grand Trunk railway station, now a tourist information bureau and art gallery.

Article

Alma

Born of the lumber industry in 1860, Alma quickly became a prosperous agricultural parish. It burst into the industrial age in 1923 with the start of construction of the Isle-Maligne hydro station on the Grande Décharge.

Article

Arthabaska

The founder of Arthabaska, Charles Beauchesne, arrived in 1834 and was impressed by the size of the trees and quality of the soil. The first industries were potash and maple-sugar production.

Article

Assiniboia

Assiniboia is a name derived from the Assiniboine, an Indigenous people. The name Assiniboia applied to two political units in the 19th century. The first was a district centred on the forks of the Red and Assiniboine rivers — which became the site of the Red River Resistance (1869–70) — forerunner to the province of Manitoba. The second was a provisional district of the ever-changing North-West Territories (1870–1905). Two political constituencies (one federal and one Manitoban), a rural municipality (in Manitoba), and a town (in Saskatchewan) have also been called Assiniboia.

Article

Aylmer (Qué)

Aylmer, Qué, Sector, pop 41 532 (2006c), 36 085 (2001c). Aylmer is located on Lac Deschênes on the Ottawa River and was a city from 1975-2002 before it merged with 4 other cities to form the new city of Gatineau.

Article

Barrington

Barrington, NS, Unincorporated Place. Barrington, a small community within the municipal district of Barrington (incorporated in 1879), is located on the southwestern tip of Nova Scotia.

Article

Beauport

In 1634, Robert Giffard received the seigneury of Beauport from the Compagnie des cent associés. In 1698, 444 French colonists settled just east of Rivière Beauport, attracted by the flour mill and agricultural land.

Article

Bedford

Bedford, NS, Urban Community, is situated at the head of Bedford Basin, in Halifax Regional Municipality.

Article

Beloeil

Beloeil was first opened to settlement in the first quarter of the 18th century. By 1754, all the available land had been granted.

Article

Blainville

In 1673, in order to develop the young colony of New France, Governor Louis de Buade de Frontenac gave large concessions of land to administrators, priests and high-ranking soldiers who became seigneurs. The seigneurie des Mille-Îles was created north of the river that bears the same name.

Article

Boisbriand

First set up as a municipality under the name of Sainte-Thérèse-Ouest in 1946, its name was changed in 1974. The name recalls Michel-Sidrac Dugué, Sieur de Boisbriand (1638-88), to whom was granted the seigneury des Mille-Îles in 1683.

Article

Boucherville

Boucherville is one of the oldest municipalities in Québec. In 1668, Pierre Boucher began farming in the area and 4 years later received his seigneury, consisting of Îles-Percées and the adjacent islands. Boucher secured the community against Iroquois attack by constructing a palisade.

Article

Brighton

Brighton, Ont, incorporated as a municipality in 2001, population 10 928 (2011c), 10 253 (2006c). The Municipality of Brighton is located 12 km west of Trenton, near Lake Ontario.

Article

Brossard

Brossard resulted from the merger of the municipalities of Notre-Dame-du-Sacré-Coeur and Notre-Dame-de-Laprairie-de-la-Madeleine with the city of Brossard, which had, 20 years earlier (1958), been created out of the amalgamation of La-Nativité-de-Laprairie and La Prairie.

Article

Buckland

Buckland, Sask, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1911, population 3658 (2011c), 3429 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of Buckland is named for the deer that were once common in the area.

Article

Cabbagetown

Cabbagetown, a district in east-central Toronto, the general boundaries of which are the Don River on the east, Parliament St on the west, Gerrard St on the north, and Queen St on the south.

Article

Cantley

The first to settle the Cantley area were of Scottish or English origin. Andrew Blackburn and his 2 sons arrived in 1829. Colonel Cantley, a British army officer who had worked on the RIDEAU CANAL with Colonel John By, was granted land in what was to become Cantley in the early 1830s.