Fort McMurray, Alberta, unincorporated population centre, population 61,374 (2011c), 47,705 (2006c). Fort McMurray is the largest community in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (RMWB). It is technically known as the municipality’s “Urban Service Area” and colloquially known as “Fort Mac.” The community located near the confluence of the Athabasca and Clearwater rivers in northeastern Alberta, near the centre of the vast Athabasca oil sands deposit. Originally incorporated as a city in 1980, in 1995 Fort McMurray merged with much of the surrounding area — collectively known as Improvement District No. 143 — to create the RMWB. At 63,783 km2, the municipality is the largest in North America in terms of size, accounting for nearly 10 per cent of the province’s total area. In May 2016, Fort McMurray experienced one of the worst forest fires in Canadian history. More than 80,000 residents were evacuated and approximately 2,400 structures — about 10 per cent of the city — were destroyed.
The Cree and Saulteaux signed Treaty 4 at this site in 1874, and a year later a North-West Mounted Police outpost was established near the present townsite.
Fort Smith, NWT, incorporated as a town in 1966, population 2093 (2011c), 2364 (2006c). The Town of Fort Smith is located on the southwest bank of the SLAVE RIVER near the Alberta-NWT border, 724 air km north of Edmonton.
Forteau, NL, incorporated as a town in 1997, population 429 (2011c), 448 (2006c). The Town of Forteau is a fishing and services centre on Forteau Bay in southern Labrador, 25 km across the Strait of Belle Isle from insular Newfoundland.
Fortune, NL, incorporated as a town in 1946, population 1442 (2011c), 1458 (2006c). The Town of Fortune is located on the west end of the Burin Peninsula at the mouth of Fortune Bay.
Fox Creek, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1967, population 1969 (2011c), 2278 (2006c). The Town of Fox Creek is located 74 km west of WHITECOURT. The town is named after a creek that flows through the community.
Gambo, NL, incorporated as a town in 1964, population 1984 (2011c), 2072 (2006c). The Town of Gambo is an amalgamation of three communities - Dark Cove, Middle Brook and Gambo - stretching along the shore at the end of Freshwater Bay, a long indraft of BONAVISTA BAY.
Gananoque, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1890, population 5194 (2011c), 5285 (2006c). The Town of Gananoque is located at the confluence of the St Lawrence and Gananoque rivers, 29 km east of Kingston.
Gander, NL, incorporated as a town in 1954, population 11 054 (2011c), 9951 (2006c). The town of Gander is located on Gander Lake in east-central Newfoundland.
Ganges, BC, Unincorporated Place. Ganges is the major community centre of SALTSPRING ISLAND, the largest island in the southern GULF ISLANDS chain. Named after HMS Ganges, flagship of the Pacific Station 1857-60, it is located at
Georgina, Ontario, incorporated as a town in 1986, population 45,418 (2016 census), 43,517 (2011 census). The townships of North Gwillimbury and Georgina were amalgamated in 1971 and incorporated as the town of Georgina in 1986. The town of Georgina includes the communities of Udora, Keswick, Sutton and Jackson’s Point. It is located on the south shore of Lake Simcoe, 67 km north of Toronto.
Gibbons, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1977, population 3030 (2011c), 2642 (2006c). The Town of Gibbons is located 55 km northeast of Edmonton on the Sturgeon River. Gibbons is named in honour of William R. Gibbons, the first homesteader in the area in 1894.
Gibsons, BC, incorporated as a town in 1982, population 4437 (2011c), 4182 (2006c). The Town of Gibsons is located just north of VANCOUVER at the western entrance to Howe Sound. The town is reached from Vancouver by car ferry from Horseshoe Bay.
Gimli, Manitoba, rural municipality, population 6,181 (2016 census), 5,845 (2011 census). Gimli was incorporated as a town from 1947 to 2003 after which it was reunited into the Rural Municipality of Gimli. (The original rural municipality was incorporated in 1887 and the village of Gimli separated from it in 1908.) The community is located on the west shore of Lake Winnipeg, 76 km north of Winnipeg.
Gladstone, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1882, population 879 (2011c), 802 (2006c). The Town of Gladstone is located on the Whitemud River, 138 km northwest of Winnipeg and 30 km west of the southern tip of Lake Manitoba.
Glovertown, NL, incorporated as a town in 1954, population 2122 (2011c), 2062 (2006c).
Goderich, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1850, population 7521 (2011c), 7563 (2006c), seat of Huron County. The Town of Goderich is located on a bluff above Lake Huron at the mouth of the Maitland River, 130 km northeast of SARNIA.
Golden, British Columbia, incorporated as a town in 1957, population 3,708 (2016 census), 3,701 (2011 census). The town of Golden is located on the Columbia River at its confluence with the Kicking Horse River. It is situated 260 km west of Calgary, Alberta, between the Purcell Mountain Range and Glacier National Park to the west, and the Rocky Mountains and Yoho National Park to the east. Golden is located on the traditional territory of the Ktunaxa and Secwepemc people (see Interior Salish).