Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Dundas

Dundas, Ont, Urban Community within the city of Hamilton. Dundas is located at the west end of Lake Ontario and is situated between 2 faces of the Niagara Escarpment.

Article

Dunnville

Dunnville, Ont, urban area, population 5789 (2011c), 5729 (2006c). Dunnville was established in 1974 as a town in the Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk from the former townships of Canborough, Dunn, Moulton and Sherbrooke and the town of Dunnville.

Article

Déline

Déline, NWT, incorporated as a charter community in 1993, population 472 (2011c), 525 (2006c). The Charter Community of Déline is located on the shores of GREAT BEAR LAKE, 544 air km northwest of Yellowknife.

Article

East York

East York, Ont, Urban Community within the city of Toronto. East York was a borough until it was merged in 1998 into the new city of Toronto.

Article

Eastern Townships

The Eastern Townships region is located in the Appalachian hills of south-central Québec, between Montréal and Québec City. The townships extend from Granby to Lac Mégantic and from Drummondville to the US border.

Article

Eckville

Eckville, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1921 and as a town in 1966, population 1125 (2011c), 951 (2006c).

Article

Edenwold

Edenwold, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1912, population 238 (2011c), 242 (2006c). The Village of Edenwold is located 44 km northeast of REGINA. The name was originally Edenwald after the Garden of Eden and wald, meaning forest in German.

Article

Edmonton

Edmonton, Alberta, incorporated as a city in 1904, population 932,546 (2016 c) 812,201 (2011 c). Edmonton is the capital of Alberta, and is located on the North Saskatchewan River, near the geographical centre of the province. Commonly known as the "Gateway to the North," it is strategically situated on an economic divide between the highly-productive farmlands of central Alberta and a vast, resource-rich northern hinterland.

Article

Edmundston

Edmundston, NB, incorporated as a city in 1952, population 16 032 (2011c), 16 643 (2006c). The City of Edmundston is nestled on the eastern bank of the SAINT JOHN RIVER, opposite Madawaska, Maine, and 285 km north of FREDERICTON.

Article

Edson

Edson, Alta, incorporated as a village then as a town in 1911, population 8475 (2011c), 8098 (2006c). The Town of Edson is the distribution centre for a mining, timber and oil area 200 km due west of Edmonton. Named for Edson J.

Article

Elbow

The first settlers appear to have been ranchers. By 1903 settlers were taking up homesteads near Elbow, and by the end of the decade lands in the elbow were extensively occupied. The CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY, which arrived in 1908, has accounted for the continued existence of the village.

Article

Elkford

Elkford, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1981, population 2523 (2011c), 2463 (2006c). The District of Elkford is situated on the west side of the Elk River, a tributary to the Kootenay River, in the East Kootenay district of southeastern British Columbia.

Article

Elmira

Elmira, Ontario, urban area, population 9931 (2011c), 8872 (2006c). Elmira is located about 17 km northwest of KITCHENER-WATERLOO.

Article

Elora

Elora, Ont, Unincorporated Place. Elora is a picturesque community located about 25 km northeast of Guelph at the junction of the Grand and Irvine rivers.

Article

Elsa

In 1946 Keno Mining Co Ltd (later United Keno Hills Mines Ltd) reopened the mine. The community received a post office in 1949 and the 1950s was the starting point for the first oil exploration winter road to drilling sites 500 km to the north.

Article

Emerson

Emerson, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1879, population 671 (2011c), 689 (2006c). The Town of Emerson is Manitoba's main port of entry on the international boundary.

Article

Enderby

Enderby, BC, incorporated as a city in 1905, population 2932 (2011c), 2828 (2006c). The City of Enderby is located on the Shuswap River 13 km north of Armstrong and 19 km south of Salmon Arm.

Article

Erickson

Swedish and Norwegian immigrants were among the first settlers in the region. They took up homesteads in the Otter Lake and Rolling River area on a reserve called Scandinavia or New Sweden, established in 1885 as part of a campaign to attract Scandinavian immigrants to Canada.

Article

Espanola

Espanola, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1958, population 5364 (2011c), 5314 (2006c). The Town of Espanola is located 69 km west of Sudbury on the Spanish River.